We spend a lot of time focused on which Democratic candidate to nominate, what they believe, and how they can beat Donald Trump. But none of this will matter if we don’t focus a hell of a lot more on what may be the greatest vulnerability that Democrats face in 2020: the Republican War on Voting.
Here’s the good news: Stacey Abrams is on the case, and she’s got a plan. Of course she does. She’s Stacey Abrams!
It’s called Fair Fight 2020, and it will fund, staff, and train voter protection teams in 20 battleground states. These team members be hired locally, so they’ll know the vulnerable communities they’re trying to protect, and will start a full year before the 2020 election.
Here’s what they’ll do:
- Build grassroots organizing teams that ensure that voters are able to register, cast their ballot, and have their ballot count
- Work with local elections officials to make sure they’re following and interpreting the laws in ways that actually help people vote
- Use diverse messengers to educate voters on their rights
- Staff a multi-lingual hotline that helps voters answer questions and report issues way before elections and at their polling locations
- Prepare to challenge any suppressive tactics in court
We know that this works – that even the bullshit, discriminatory laws that make it harder to vote can be overcome with good, local, on-the-ground organizing – exactly what Stacey intends to do.
But she needs our help.
It will cost $5 million to fully fund each team in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
It’s a big challenge, but just remember: Republicans get away with stealing elections because there aren’t enough people on the ground to stop them. Fair Fight 2020 gives us a real chance to stop the Republican War on Voting in states where just a few thousand votes could mean the difference between victory and immeasurable amounts of therapy.
This is the single-most important thing you can do right now to determine what happens next year. Get in the fight.